Environmental and planning law issues arise for companies in a variety of ways. The planning and construction of industrial plants and facilities, as well as the conversion and expansion of operating facilities, require the obtaining of permits, e. g., under construction, water or immission control laws. In addition, the limits of construction planning law and nature conservation law must be taken into account. During operation, limits for emissions, the proper disposal of waste and wastewater, and the fulfillment of numerous notification and information obligations vis-à-vis the authorities must be observed. In addition, potential liability risks, such as soil and groundwater contamination, must always be examined and any remediation measures must be coordinated with the authorities.
Depending on the sector, companies may also have to comply with product-related environmental legislation on the manufacture, marketing or return of their products (e. g. electronic equipment, batteries, packaging, etc.) or take account of requirements under food law, hazardous substances law or chemicals law.
To ensure permanent compliance with environmental regulations and reduce the risk of regulatory or even criminal sanctions, it may also be useful to establish an internal compliance management system.
Last but not least, the environmental legal situation of a business location and possible liability risks can be significant factors in the valuation of a company and must be carefully examined in prior to an acquisition or sale.
We keep track of the complex requirements of environmental and planning law for you and assist you in their implementation. Our lawyers have many years of experience in dealing with public authorities, specialist planners and experts, as well as the necessary environmental and planning law expertise in the context of corporate and real estate transactions. Depending on your needs, we involve our experts from other areas of law (particularly real estate and tax law) and consulting disciplines.
Our services at a glance
- Preparation of legal opinions on environmental, construction and planning law issues
- Advice on approval and planning procedures for construction and infrastructure projects
- Advice in administrative proceedings and representation before the administrative courts
- Environmental due diligence in connection with M&A transactions and restructuring of companies (e. g. on validity/legal succession/transfer of operating permits, liability risks for contaminated sites on company premises, waste and nature conservation law requirements, etc.), including coordination of environmental consultants and experts
- Preparation of feasibility studies in preparation for project planning and investment decisions
- Consulting on operational compliance management in the area of environmental law/ESG
- Consulting on requirements of product-related environmental law (e. g. packaging, batteries, electrical appliances) as well as food, hazardous substances and chemicals law (e. g. REACH Regulation)
- Support in complying with reporting, documentation, information and registration requirements under environmental law requirements (e. g. CBAM, WaldschutzVO, Einwegkunststoff-FondsG, Lieferkettensorgfaltspflichtengesetz)